August 13, 2006
Post #2031 – 20060813
Good Evening Daniel and Jill~
My name is Dana and I am a 3rd grade teacher. I have never taught 3rd grade before this year (I have always taught 1st) and I am very scared. When I looked at our summer reading list I fell in love with The Hoboken Chicken Emergency. I can not wait until the first day of school to find out the students reactions to your book.
I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions and if I could share some pictures from your web site with my students?
1. What inspired you to write the Hoboken Chicken Emergency?
2. Was Arthur a reflection of you as a child?
3. Can my students write to you and who do I send them to?
4. I have to teach about the Idiarod (spelling???) in Feb/Mar do you have any favorite organizations I can get information from?
5. Would you consider taking a trip across the Hudson to Princeton, NJ?
I know this last question is a huge stretch and I can not offer you any money (we are a Catholic school) buy I make a mean Pad Thai and I have a dog who thinks her life calling is to be a sled dog. She fails to realize she is a whole 22 lbs. and would pee all over if she saw that many people.
Thanks for taking the time to read my email, I am sure you get tons of them everyday. Have a great night and rub your puppies bellies for me.
1. It is a true story. I changed some of the names, of course.
2. No, Arthur is the reflection of someone else.
3. Yes they can. I don't know to whom you should send your students. Maybe you should keep them where they are in Princeton, New Jersey. Princeton is a nice place.
4. Iditarod. One of my favorite organizations is the Royal Economic Society--but I don't think they are likely to have information about sled dog races.
5. I would consider it. Considering things is fun, and I do it all the time. However the offer of no money amounts to a non-consideration, as much as I am curious about mean food, and seeing your dog's tiny sled.
6. Thank you for writing to me. There are two very good sequels to THE HOBOKEN CHICKEN EMERGENCY, they are LOOKING FOR BOBOWICZ and THE ARTSY SMARTSY CLUB.